Two steps to close a matter – 1) Clio and 2) NetDocuments
1. Close a Matter in Clio via a Matter’s Dashboard (Edit Matter button on top right)
- In the top section of the Matter details click on the Status dropdown menu
- Change the status from Opened to Closed
- Input the Closed Date.
- Save Matter changes (bottom left)
2. Now close the Matter in NetDocs (requires Cabinet Admin rights)
- Select the “Admin” option under your name (top right)
- On the next screen click the “hamburger” icon to open an options panel on the left.
- Click on Profile Attributes
- Search for and double-click the matter to open it, enter a closed date and save and exit.
What happens When I Close a Matter?
Closed Matters will also no longer appear in the search/picklist dropdown menus. To add Time, Tasks, etc. to a Closed Matter, you must navigate to the relevant sub-tabs within the Closed Matters itself.
- If a Matter is set to Closed, Any Time Entries, Expense Entries, Bills, Calendar Entries, Communication Logs, Notes, Documents, Secure Messages and Tasks associated to the Matter will not be deleted or removed from the account.
- To access the Closed Matter, select Matters and Closed.
- If there are any outstanding unbilled Activities at the time the Matter Status is changed, this will still be billable.
- If there are documents shared via Clio Connect, closing the Matter will not stop sharing them. To stop sharing the documents, please follow this article: How to Stop Sharing Something Shared via Clio Connect.
The client’s documents related to that matter will still exist in NetDocuments, and are profiled with that matter name, but no new documents or emails will be able to be added to the matter. To keep documents profiled for inactive matter names and to search on those matters again for future reference, administrators should leave all closed matters in the lookup table (ie do NOT delete the Matter). Inactive values remain available for searching but are no longer listed in lookup tables when editing a document’s profile or creating a new document.
* NetDocuments Training Guides and Videos *
- NetDocuments Overview and Navigation
- ndMail Overview (for Office365 + Exchange and Outlook users only)
- Downloadable Quick Reference Guides:
- NetDocuments Support YouTube Page (12 tutorials)
- 2018 Demo for Pioneer (GREAT learning video, keeping in mind your firm may not have all the features shown in this video)